Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving in Randomland

I am currently sitting in the wonderful air condition Peace Corps office in Ouaga enjoying an oreo and listening to American music on a friends iPod. In my mind I am in America right now. For Thanksgiving I will be attending a dessert party at the ambassador's house. I am a pretty important person if you didnt know. I have exausted all of my energy on the internet already, so I dont think that I have enough steam to relate the goings on since the last post. In a nutshell, I am still alive and kicking in the rocking city of Matiacoali. Most of my students passed the test and a few of them with actual good grades. I have about two full weeks of teaching left, and then I am done with the first trimester. We are in the works of planning our Christmas in Ghana, but since I will be going to an English speaking country, how bad can it be? I have recently come to terms with one of the problems that I previously thought Burkina had a problem with, the trash problem. The problem, as I saw it, was that there were no dumpsters and no trash collection program, but then I realized that this was not needed. In Burkina, instead of dumpsters, they have goats. If you are inexperienced with the awe inspiring wonder that is the goat, allow me to educate you. Goats eat everything, whether it be food scraps, or like in the cartoons, old tin cans. For this reason, I think that the trash collection program in Burkina is actually better than that of America. There is no need to take the trash out to the dumpster when the "dumpster" has the ability to come to the trash. Burkina has herds and herds of mobile "dumpsters", and I am going to make it my secondary project to improve this program by increasing the number of "dumpsters".




small child








small child












chillin'







me and child







Rachael, neighbor, cookin' some to









My church

1 comment:

Mom and Dad of Caleb said...

Caleb,

Yes, we know you are a pretty important person. We hope dessert at the ambassador's included some pumpkin pie with whipped cream.

Thanks for posting more pictures. It is always interesting to see what you see. We tried to get a glimpse of your world by watching The Amazing Race through Ouagadougou and Bingo, Burkina Faso. Grandma Mary and her friends watched, too. Her friend Jean thinks they need to take up a collection so that they can bring you back home.

We hope your trimester ends well and that you have a wonderful time in Ghana.

Love you,

Mom & Dad