Sunday, August 31, 2008

My Summer in a Nut Shell

My first summer in Burkina has come and gone without me actually realizing it. It seems like just yesterday that I was grading my last test of the year and listening the the pleading demands of several students to add just a couple more points to their grade so that they could pass. According to my students, the fact that I am white means that I should better understand their plight and find pity on them. In the long run the only students that were asking for free points were the students who had not been showing up all year or had been receiving 2 out of 20 on the tests and the majority of my students passed. I am very proud of them. I am also very excited for my next year. Year number 2 will be my redo year. My year to fix everything that went wrong the first year and awesomize everything else.

Summer began with thoughts of insanity and reading of numerous books, but now at the end I have spent most of the time in Ouaga and Ouahigouya helping out with Peace Corps stuff and rocking out in English. I started off in village after school let out with high hopes of my own field of peanuts and endless cultivating opportunities, but after a few weeks it turned out that I would not be in village for a majority of the summer. This also meaning that I would not be able to reap the benefits of my bountiful harvest. Sadly accepting this fact, I was still determined to make the most of my cultivating experience and just help out in my neighbor's fields. My neighbor's were very excited about this, but it took several days of me asking to be taken to their field the following day for them to actually believe that a nasara wanted to work in a field. It ended up being long, hot, sunny, tiring, achy days, but also an awesome time to talk to villager's and practice my local language skills. I was quite the attraction riding my bike through all of the fields, wearing a helmet, and greeting in Gulmanchema. Overall, a good time had by all.

When I wasn't working up a sweat planting beans and corn, I was in Ouahigouya helping to train the new group of volunteers that arrived this year. It was a lot of fun, and an interesting new perspective on the training process, one of the most difficult three months of my life.

Next week, a group of us are going to Togo and Benin for two weeks. We do plan on going to the beach, so I have all of my fellow travelers to not let me throw camera #2 in the ocean, no matter how much I want to. I have pretty much exhausted all of my creative ability this week working on a newsletter for the Peace Corps. Fun end fact, I used to have a dangly mole on my back, but at my mid-service, thats right I said mid-service (15 months in country), the doctor decided that it would be best to cut it off and gave me one stitch to remember it by. I am very worried that this mole may have been the source of my power and that the removal of it could have dire consequences. Not only to me, but to the world as a whole.

Pictures on the way. Hopefully tomorrow when I am at the Peace Corps Office with the fast internet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed that you went out and planted! You should be very proud. I think I put in one or two rows of seeds and then gave up. Take care - happy mid-service!

Marlene said...

hahah!! matt and i were just talking about your dangly mole when we were doing some chicago reminiscing with keri last weekend!