Saturday, July 25, 2009

Burkina in the Rearview Mirror

Peace Corps: The hardest job you will ever love.
One of the Peace Corps many tag lines. Over the past two years, I came to question this statement several times. Not so much the hardest job part, imagine yourself sweating in 100 degree heat infront of a class of 131 teenagers trying to pronounce in French some obscure type of mineral that you don't even know the name of in English, or imagine trying to grade 400 odd tests at night with no electricity credling a flashligh on your shoulder whil insects of the night dive bomb your face. So it wasn't really the hardest job part I doubted, as much as it was the love part. Sure, even in America everyone has good days and bad days, and yes my good days numbered way more than my bad, but love? The Peace Corps just sprang that "I love you" on me, and I still wasn't sure if we were at a point in our relationship that I could honestly and meaningfully say it back. But now that we ahve spent two years, make that two years and two months together, I think I might be ready to take that plunge and go all in. I love you Peace Corps, you truly are the hardest job I will ever love. I fear however that I may have proclaimed my love too late. Peace Corps service, at least for me, is one of those things that you dont really come to appreciate until it is over.
Peace Corps: The hardest job you will ever love once you are finished your service and have had time to reflect on the last two years of your life and the good times had during said two years.
That really isn't all that catchy. I guess the original is better, it just takes a little over two years to fully understand its meaning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Caleb,

We are so proud of what you have accomplished and endured. We look forward to having you home.

Love you,

Mom & Dad

Luna Mariem said...

Yes you are my hero Caleb!
Call me when you get the chance :)
Safe Travels to the Homeland.

~ashli

syiling peringatan malaysia said...

Nice to meet you