Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Peace Corps: The only government agency that works on the 4th

Today I found out where I am going to be spening the next two years of my life. I am going to be living in the town of Matiakoali in the southeast part of the country. The Peace Corps gave me a sheet about it and here is what it says:
You are going to Mahiakoali located on the paved road past Fada, your regional capitol. In beautiful Fada you will find internet, a post office, supermarchés, and excellent restaurants. Keeping you company will be your amazing host family from which the last volunteer was very sad to leave. This year your school, led by a fantastic director, had two sixieme classes and one class each of quatrieme and ciqieme with students numbering 372 total. Enviable conveniences include regular transportation and celtel reception. You will also have two GEE volunteers as neighbors.
I am excited because this means I will be in the southern portion of the country and hopefully there will be some green. I dont know how I feel about living with a host family just due to the fact that I dont really know what that means. I am not sure if that means we just share a courtyard and I have my own house, or if I just have a room like I do now. I guess I will find out when I get there. In my training group I am the furthest one east, and my closest neighbor, from my training group, is about 200ish km from me. Fada, the regional capitol is about 120 km from me, and that is where the internet is so I dont know how often I will have access to that. In the travel book it says something about plains of wildlife, and I am right next to some big wildlife reserves. I am also really close to my dream country of Togo. I want to go to Togo. I guess after I go to Togo I wont be able to say that phrase anymore. That will be sad. We visit our sites next week, so I will be able to see exactly where I am living and see my school and whatnot. I was told by my country director that my school is one of the few with a lab in it, so that means that I will be abl to do some totally sweet science experiments, so if any of you know any cool experiments that a 6th grader learning about vertibrates and flowering plants would like, send them my way.
On another note, you all will be happy to know that the mispronunciation of Stica reins supreme from continent to continent. Not only the mispronunciation, but the exact same pronunciation. It took me a while to decide whether or not I was going to use the same tactic I used in college, just allowing them to mispronounce it, or actually correct them. I have decided that I am going to be known to my students as Monsieur Stica, and to my friends as Caleb Stitsee. Also, my first name does not translate into the French language. It is also hard to pronounce, so I have to introduce myself as Cahlib. If while infront of my language teacher I try to introduce myself by me actual name, he corrects me. Oh well.
I was going to post some pictures, but I went to the cheaper computer lab which apparently also means it is slower.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

hey well it sounds like you're having a lot of fun over there in africa. yesterday we all celebrated the 4th of july and i was in the ofallon parade with my school's band. i don't think i've ever sweat that much in my life and i realized that when sweat gets in your eyes, it burns a lot--we walked about three very slow miles in 100 degree weather for about 2-2 and a half hours. did you ever have to march in the parades with your band? at about 9 or a little later i watched this amazing fireworks show. o i also jammed my finger pretty bad in a heated game of basketball in p.e. and so right now its about twice the size of the same finger on my other hand. wish my life was as exciting as yours.

--sarah (your cousin)

p.s. if you ever get the chance you should go to: http://www.askforkids.com/
for some science experiments. since you asked i thought i'd give you a place to look for ideas.

Mom and Dad of Caleb said...

Caleb,

We are happy that you got a "southern" assignment and hope the grass will be greener. You mentioned that two GEE volunteers would be in Matiakoali, also. Are these people in your training group? Will other teachers at your school be Peace Corps volunteers (with a year's experience)? In the description you were given, we hope those promising words: "beautiful","amazing","fantastic", and "enviable" meet your expectations.

When do you get to visit your future location? 120 km from Fada? Is there any form of public transportation or will you be biking it when you wish to use the internet?

Is the lab in your school for demonstrations only? I can't picture it being large enough for students to do labs, given your class sizes.

Nice to know that the pronunciation of Stica is an international problem.

Love you,

Mom & Dad

amelia said...

ok... this thing is weird. some of it's in French. And by the way, I CAN'T READ/SPEAK FRENCH!!! Anyway... I hope you like it there. Will we get to see pictures sometime soon? (other than the ones sent to me by email with only half your face in them?) I haven't done any research on B.F., but maybe you'll get lucky and see some lions or giraffes or something. That would be cool. Then you would DEFINATELY have to put up pictures. Just don't get eaten. That would be bad.

Amelia (your favorite and best cousin!)

your favorite brother said...

So was the old woman on a bike or was she just walking across the road? I ran into an old lady the other day too. She tried to pull across the road in front of me as I was driving down the road. She had no idea what was going on, she didnt even see me. So do they have dogs over there that chase you when you ride your bike? Or stranger things, like lions? Do you carry pepper spray?

Anonymous said...

You write very well.

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, in some moments I can bruit about that I approve of with you, but you may be making allowance for other options.
to the article there is stationary a question as you did in the fall publication of this demand www.google.com/ie?as_q=divx create bundle 6.8.0.5 ?
I noticed the utter you procure not used. Or you use the pitch-dark methods of helping of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg